Valium for the Soul

Come with me on a journey through uncharted territory...

Quotes:
How can a woman be expected to be happy with a man who insists on treating her as if she were a perfectly normal human being. - Oscar Wilde
Quotes:
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. - Albert Einstein
Quotes:
Education: that which reveals to the wise, and conceals from the stupid, the vast limits of their knowledge. - Mark Twain
Quotes:
I thoroughly disapprove of duels. If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand and lead him to a quiet place and kill him. - Mark Twain
Quotes:
Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. - Albert Einstein
Sunday, March 19, 2006
Recruitment
Going through applications for Graduate Recruitment, I'm hating some of the questions.

Example:

Why do you want to work for XXXX company/Govt Dept?

I feel sure the honest answer wouldn't suit: Ie cause I need a job & if I don't get one I really want at least I'll be able to pay the mortgage.

*sigh*
posted by Blue @ 2:32 pm  
4 Comments:
  • At March 19, 2006 3:36 pm, Blogger Polly said…

    I think you can presume that it is not honesty necessarily that they are looking for. They are seeing how outstanding your creative writing can be and probably to have their egos stroked. The mysterious "they" are wanting to see your education, spelling, creative genius at work. So go for it and all the best luck in the world.

     
  • At March 20, 2006 2:14 am, Blogger Jack K. said…

    They will be satisfied with something that you can contribute to the organization that will make them look good. Otherwise, Alison hit the nail on the head.

    Good luck.

    Serve well. Care about those you serve. Discover and share the love in your heart. Do these things and you have an excellent chance to live fully and do good works. And, you will be happier, too.

     
  • At March 20, 2006 7:16 am, Blogger lime said…

    lol, i am with you. i want to be too hionest for my own good. then there is the hubby who put on a resume....petroleum transfer engineer for the xxon corp. overseeing the sale and transfer of petroleum products.......aka gas pump attendant. he got the job though!

     
  • At March 21, 2006 9:23 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Been there, done that.

    Whilst I currently work for the public service, I didn't get so much as an interview in any of the graduate positions I applied for (which is probably a good thing, because I'm now earning a lot more than I would have as a graduate).

    As I was perpetually unsuccessful at that, I wont presume to offer you any advice, but I suspect not looking too weird in your application and crossing your fingers for an interview, and then impressing them at the interview, is probably a sound strategy (didn't I just say I wouldn't offer any advice?).

    One thing about public service selections if that they are very big on the selection criteria, including at the interviews. Make sure you address them thoroughly in your application, and if they give you an interview, keep them in mind when you're answering their questions. Possibly think up an anecdote or two from your personal experience which relate to the selection criteria which you can recount in the interviews. And given that a lot of different government departments will have similar selection criteria, feel free to re-use the good stuff in different applications - no one will notice (as long as it's not too applications to the same department, and even then probably no one will notice).

    Good luck. I was starting to job-hunt around this time last year, and it's a pretty depressing and demoralizing experience, on the whole, but hang in, and you'll get there eventually.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Subscribe with Bloglines Save the NetAustralianBlogs.com.au

About Me

Home: Canberra, ACT, Australia
About Me: I'm a single mum with 2 terrors and 2 dogs. Recently moved to ACT for work. Musings on politics, life, philosophy etc. I have many aspirations, maybe I'll share them... maybe I won't :-)
See my complete profile
Previous Post
Archives
Links

Template by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER