Valium for the Soul

Come with me on a journey through uncharted territory...

Quotes:
How can a woman be expected to be happy with a man who insists on treating her as if she were a perfectly normal human being. - Oscar Wilde
Quotes:
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. - Albert Einstein
Quotes:
Education: that which reveals to the wise, and conceals from the stupid, the vast limits of their knowledge. - Mark Twain
Quotes:
I thoroughly disapprove of duels. If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand and lead him to a quiet place and kill him. - Mark Twain
Quotes:
Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. - Albert Einstein
Tuesday, March 14, 2006
Adios Chef
Isaac Hayes who played the role of Chef in Trey Parker & Matt Stone's South Park is leaving the show citing "inappropriate ridicule of religious communities."

However as the creators pointed out in their statement:

"In 10 years and over 150 episodes of 'South Park,' Isaac never had a problem with the show making fun of Christians, Muslims, Mormons and Jews, he got a sudden case of religious sensitivity when it was his religion featured on the show.'

Hayes is a scientologist. In a recent episode 'Trapped in the Closet' Stan takes a scientology test, which shows that his thetan levels are OT9. Believing him to be the reincarnation of L. Ron Hubbard, scientologist's begin to gather at his home (inc John Travolta). Stan's father sends him to his room where he finds Tom Cruise, who, having been told by Stan what he thinks of his acting abilities, goes into the closet & refuses to come out.

The episode originally aired in Nov 2005, but as we are behind with the episodes in Oz, it only recently viewed here. (unlike the one paying out the virgin mary which we don't get to see :-(

It is funny as are all South Park episodes. Matt & Trey have never shirked from controversy and are remarkably equalitarian in poking fun at EVERYTHING.

However, my personal belief is that Isaac got a bit shirty because he hasn't been in many episodes recently and has jumped the religion bandwagon as a 'valid' excuse rather than picking up his toys and going home because they wouldn't let him play so much anymore.....
posted by Blue @ 6:50 pm  
4 Comments:
  • At March 14, 2006 8:25 pm, Blogger Daydreamer of Oz said…

    OMG! I used to love that show...haven't seen it in a while but I'd definitely like to see that episode. I think this guy's got some serious issues ;)

     
  • At March 14, 2006 11:26 pm, Blogger Robin said…

    RIDICULOUS!! He didn't have an issue with the "Richer" episode, but with this??? Unreal! He definitely knocked himself down several "cool" points in my book.

     
  • At March 15, 2006 11:32 pm, Blogger Infinitesimal said…

    Hey, I saw that episode. It was funny, informative and I thought fairly tastefull given they are wont to illustrate singing dancing Xmas poo.

    I will miss chef, AND Kenny!

     
  • At March 16, 2006 10:31 am, Blogger Polly said…

    South Park gives me hope that the Americans do have a sense of humour and of the absurd.
    Loved the Scientology episode. Cleared a lot up I reckon like all their 'explanations' of the differing religions, including circumcision for the Jews. The Mormon one ( having been involved myself when I was a pup) was absolutely RIGHT!
    Hooked on it..and their wonderful portrayal in Mike Moores movie where they explained the American history in 5 minutes flat. Great minds.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Subscribe with Bloglines Save the NetAustralianBlogs.com.au

About Me

Home: Canberra, ACT, Australia
About Me: I'm a single mum with 2 terrors and 2 dogs. Recently moved to ACT for work. Musings on politics, life, philosophy etc. I have many aspirations, maybe I'll share them... maybe I won't :-)
See my complete profile
Previous Post
Archives
Links

Template by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER