Valium for the Soul

Come with me on a journey through uncharted territory...

Quotes:
How can a woman be expected to be happy with a man who insists on treating her as if she were a perfectly normal human being. - Oscar Wilde
Quotes:
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. - Albert Einstein
Quotes:
Education: that which reveals to the wise, and conceals from the stupid, the vast limits of their knowledge. - Mark Twain
Quotes:
I thoroughly disapprove of duels. If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand and lead him to a quiet place and kill him. - Mark Twain
Quotes:
Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. - Albert Einstein
Thursday, February 02, 2006
I love Australia. But my love is not blind.
In response to this article:

Yes many people come to Australia seeking new horizons. Many also come bringing with them prejudices of many centuries. Not all those born in this great country have the advantages of education and being taught tolerance – they too harbour prejudices.

To refer to Australia as a wonderland free from vice, racial intolerance and capitalist greed is both naïve and to exist in a world of political rhetoric.

Australia is not perfect. However for any person or country to rest on the laurels of a perceived historical wonderland, there must be a blinkering [sic] of current realities.

I am a 5th generation Australian. I am proud to be Australian. I am proud to welcome newcomers to this great land of ours. BUT, I am not blinded to the vices of this land. The political movement towards capitalism in this country is at the expense of humanist principals.

I don’t consider Anna Yeatman’s comments to be humbug. The battle of the Federal govt to remove Union Action denies Australian origins and such landmark events as the Eureka Stockade. Australia is parochial as are all countries to some degree or less (some significantly more). I don’t deny the assistance we have given to OS countries. It is also undeniable that current policy and aping of US politics & culture is leading Australia to a 2 tier society.

I have a problem with Pier's use of the phrase ‘culture of welcome’ Yep we’ll welcome you if you have skills & money. Otherwise we’re going to put you in a JAIL for an indeterminate period of time while some privileged white woman decides whether you are worthy to join this great nation.

As a nation we have a long way to go in embracing the philosophies of multiculturalism & reconciliation. A lot of words have been spouted. Its time more action was taken.
posted by Blue @ 9:27 pm  
3 Comments:
  • At February 03, 2006 5:39 pm, Blogger Bent El Neel said…

    Bluebolt:
    Thanx for your balanced view on this issue. You are correct that people come here and bring with them so much that they grew up with.

    I know you visited my blog so you know what I packed up with me on the way to Aus (sheepish smile). But I also have a great appreciation for this country. Mainly because the contrast between where I come from and where I am now is stiking.
    Many Aussies who are 3rd, 4th or 5th generation Australians that I spoke to just can't imagine how bad it is elsewhere in the owrld. I guess that's why I idolise this country and wouldn't trade living here for the world.

     
  • At February 03, 2006 5:40 pm, Blogger Bent El Neel said…

    sorry, i meant the contrast is "striking" not "stiking"

     
  • At February 04, 2006 8:44 am, Blogger Polly said…

    Thank you for your blog Bluebolt. My thoughts and feelings expressed EXACTLY. I have seen Piers Ackerman many times (on ABC "Insiders") and can barely contain my sense of tolerance every time he opens his 'Howard-apologist' mouth. Now I have read his words through your blog for the first time I now know I never need to read him again. My suspicions have been confirmed.
    Thank you for your measured comments and as a 5th generation Australian as well I concur with your disappointments in where Australia has been lead recently.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Subscribe with Bloglines Save the NetAustralianBlogs.com.au

About Me

Home: Canberra, ACT, Australia
About Me: I'm a single mum with 2 terrors and 2 dogs. Recently moved to ACT for work. Musings on politics, life, philosophy etc. I have many aspirations, maybe I'll share them... maybe I won't :-)
See my complete profile
Previous Post
Archives
Links

Template by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER