Valium for the Soul

Come with me on a journey through uncharted territory...

Quotes:
How can a woman be expected to be happy with a man who insists on treating her as if she were a perfectly normal human being. - Oscar Wilde
Quotes:
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. - Albert Einstein
Quotes:
Education: that which reveals to the wise, and conceals from the stupid, the vast limits of their knowledge. - Mark Twain
Quotes:
I thoroughly disapprove of duels. If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand and lead him to a quiet place and kill him. - Mark Twain
Quotes:
Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. - Albert Einstein
Friday, January 27, 2006
Beauty is how deep?
I came across an interesting site today called Beauty Check. It documents the research of a german group into beauty. I found it intruiging that they took all aspects of what I would consider to be beauty (presentation, carriage, personality) out of the equation and focused purely on structure.

They used an interesting technique called morphing, whereby none of the faces used in the survey are real - they are all computer generated. Another thing I found somewhat ironic is that when they took photos in the same fashion of a number of models including Miss Germany (ie no makeup, facial expression or discernible hair style) none of these women would be considered attractive - and on assessment, none of them rated more than 2.8 (on a likert scale of 1-7, where 1 is not attractive & 7 is very attractive).

The images that most people found attractive were not real and in real terms unattainable. The researchers make some interesting (and somewhat obvious) links to societal and media manipulation of consumers towards unattainable goals.

Have a look at the site & let me know your thoughts.
posted by Blue @ 9:16 pm  
2 Comments:
  • At January 28, 2006 9:41 am, Blogger Sue London said…

    I guess now the new saying will be beauty is six pixels deep... ;)

    Fascinating bit of research, but are we really surprised? We spend a lot of time enraptured by the fantasy of beauty.

     
  • At January 28, 2006 11:02 am, Blogger Daydreamer of Oz said…

    I think it's sort of pointless to look at just the features because we all know that that's not what really attracts us to someone.

    Funny to look at the beauty pageant chicks though. They look pretty gross to me without makeup lol.......

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Subscribe with Bloglines Save the NetAustralianBlogs.com.au

About Me

Home: Canberra, ACT, Australia
About Me: I'm a single mum with 2 terrors and 2 dogs. Recently moved to ACT for work. Musings on politics, life, philosophy etc. I have many aspirations, maybe I'll share them... maybe I won't :-)
See my complete profile
Previous Post
Archives
Links

Template by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER