Valium for the Soul

Come with me on a journey through uncharted territory...

Quotes:
How can a woman be expected to be happy with a man who insists on treating her as if she were a perfectly normal human being. - Oscar Wilde
Quotes:
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. - Albert Einstein
Quotes:
Education: that which reveals to the wise, and conceals from the stupid, the vast limits of their knowledge. - Mark Twain
Quotes:
I thoroughly disapprove of duels. If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand and lead him to a quiet place and kill him. - Mark Twain
Quotes:
Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. - Albert Einstein
Saturday, May 12, 2007
Not a pity ponder


I was warned prior to coming to Canberra that it can be a lonely place. I suspect that relocating state holds this same fear regardless of where the move is from or to. Don’t get me wrong, I have made friends since I have been here, however the losing of history is one of the biggest difficulties I have found. Loss of history can be both a blessing and a curse; a blessing because everyone has things that they would rather not dwell on and would be happy to forget (alas often forgiveness is easier). Conversely, these same negative experiences and occurrences are fundamental to shaping the person we are at any point in time subsequent to the event/experience. So in seeking to leave these behind (even if the ultimate goal was moving towards something in the future rather than running from something in the past) the tendency becomes to dwell on those events…. What to share with new people? What to avoid?

It can be hard work meeting new people, guarding your tongue until hidden prejudices, opinions and fears are revealed, for fear of unknowing sabotage of potential human contact at a personal level. Not hiding who you are, but guarding against unintentional hurt and potential loneliness. The difficulty stems from having been with (in the home state) those who need no explanation for seemingly tangential or erroneous comments or perspectives, from having people who know and love you well enough to laugh both at, near and with you. I miss knowing people well enough to hug them. I miss hugs!

These feelings are not a constant, there can be joy in finding another human with whom connection is made on a mental level (usually I find through humour) and the adventure of newness can be exciting and fun! But every so often these feelings hit and for one prone to over analysis, are periodically difficult to shake.

So having done a brain dump on the greater world I will shake my melancholy and find a new adventure.





Labels:

posted by Blue @ 11:24 am  
3 Comments:
  • At May 23, 2007 2:28 pm, Blogger Polly said…

    Having moved many times myself I understand exactly this experience you are having.
    It is difficult and a long process in learning who to trust and who to reveal your 'true' self to.

    Being the open person you are I am sure it will not be too much longer.

    Your new 'state' can be seen ( by outsiders) as a little more difficult than other states. Because it is so young, and can be quite isolating by its very design this can make you feel that there is a "track" between where you work and where you live.

    At least you have your children through whom you will meet and contact others beside workmates.

    Thinking of you, Blue.

     
  • At June 03, 2007 2:41 am, Blogger Jack K. said…

    I wish you the best in your making your new location truly yours. Humour is a great way to make connections with others.

    Please keep us informed of your progress.

     
  • At July 14, 2007 1:57 pm, Blogger Polly said…

    Even though you haven't posted for a couple of months I a still tagging you with "Eight Random Facts About Me". Bird did me, I am doing you.
    Cheers

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Subscribe with Bloglines Save the NetAustralianBlogs.com.au

About Me

Home: Canberra, ACT, Australia
About Me: I'm a single mum with 2 terrors and 2 dogs. Recently moved to ACT for work. Musings on politics, life, philosophy etc. I have many aspirations, maybe I'll share them... maybe I won't :-)
See my complete profile
Previous Post
Archives
Links

Template by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER