Valium for the Soul

Come with me on a journey through uncharted territory...

Quotes:
How can a woman be expected to be happy with a man who insists on treating her as if she were a perfectly normal human being. - Oscar Wilde
Quotes:
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. - Albert Einstein
Quotes:
Education: that which reveals to the wise, and conceals from the stupid, the vast limits of their knowledge. - Mark Twain
Quotes:
I thoroughly disapprove of duels. If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand and lead him to a quiet place and kill him. - Mark Twain
Quotes:
Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. - Albert Einstein
Sunday, October 01, 2006
Torture is NOT an Australian Value.....
According to this nutjob, sleep deprivation is not torture.

The man has obviously never had to stay up for many nights at a time with a sleepless child (or 2). Lack of sleep is mind numbing and thoughts of sleep becomes all consuming. Studies show that 17hrs without sleep is the equivalent of blowing .05 on an alcohol breathalyser.

Additional Protocol I, Article 75 of the Geneva Convention states:

'murder; torture of all kinds, whether physical or mental; corporal punishment; and mutilation…are and shall remain prohibited at any time and in any place whatsoever, whether committed by civilian or by military agents.'

Furthermore, using force to obtain information is specifically prohibited in Article 31 of the Fourth Geneva Convention which states that:

'No physical or moral coercion shall be exercised against protected persons, in particular to obtain information from them or from third parties.'

I'm not sure precisely how Ruddock & his mate GWB determined that sleep deprivation is outside the bounds of the Geneva Convention – but my personal opinion is that damaging people to get answers means that at some point the lack of sleep or the large amount of pain will ensure that they tell you ANYTHING just to make the inhumane actions stop.

On a positive note however the following statement was made by Bob Brown (Greens Senator):

'The use of sleep deprivation is torture. Using ghetto blasters and extreme cold and light to keep prisoners awake for days on end is part of new torture techniques aimed to scar the mind but not the body,'

'Philip Ruddock is dumping long-held Australian values.'

Which means of course we've had an Australian Value articulated:

Torture is anti-australian

Which is not subjective by any means is it?

More here, here, here and here.

posted by Blue @ 8:58 pm  
1 Comments:
  • At October 04, 2006 12:00 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I was very fortunate that both of my children were on the whole "good" sleepers (and isn't there a whole series of posts in exactly that value judgement that is place on infants?). Still, I think that makes the few times that they were sufficiently ill that I got no sleep stand out in my memory.

    Because my husband was our income-earner, I slept in the spare-room when the kids were ill and closed the door in our bedroom so he could rest. I was the one who tended them when they woke. Two nights of intermittent dozing made me a zombie.

    I can't imagine what it would be like if there were no temporarily soothed infant to make it worthwhile. Surely depriving someone of their normal wits is enough to be considered torture, or at the very least unacceptable prejudical to their testimony.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Subscribe with Bloglines Save the NetAustralianBlogs.com.au

About Me

Home: Canberra, ACT, Australia
About Me: I'm a single mum with 2 terrors and 2 dogs. Recently moved to ACT for work. Musings on politics, life, philosophy etc. I have many aspirations, maybe I'll share them... maybe I won't :-)
See my complete profile
Previous Post
Archives
Links

Template by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER