Valium for the Soul

Come with me on a journey through uncharted territory...

Quotes:
How can a woman be expected to be happy with a man who insists on treating her as if she were a perfectly normal human being. - Oscar Wilde
Quotes:
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. - Albert Einstein
Quotes:
Education: that which reveals to the wise, and conceals from the stupid, the vast limits of their knowledge. - Mark Twain
Quotes:
I thoroughly disapprove of duels. If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand and lead him to a quiet place and kill him. - Mark Twain
Quotes:
Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. - Albert Einstein
Saturday, June 17, 2006
Universal Truth
I have been pondering the nature of Universal or Absolute Truth, trying to determine if such a thing exists. Its kinda fun to twist your brain around, because for every proposed absolute truth there is an opposing view which instantly renders the proposal false.

Some non-controversial examples:

Some believe that it is a universal truth that there is a god - Others disagree - instant non-universal truth (NUT)

Short time living : long time dead - Reincarnation - NUT

Boys are better - Girls are better - NUT

etc

I have come to the conclusion that there is only 1 universal truth.

And that is.....

That everyone thinks that there are a lot of crackpots* out there.

*insert synonym of your choice
posted by Blue @ 8:36 pm  
4 Comments:
  • At June 18, 2006 1:55 am, Blogger Bird said…

    i'm struggling to come up with a counter for that UT, but can't.

    You may have come up with the first and last absolute UT.

    Genius!

     
  • At June 18, 2006 3:51 am, Blogger Jack K. said…

    The only possible fallacy is the use of the term everyone.

    You know the old saw, the only thing that doesn't change is change itself.

    But, then, I could be wrong. NUT

    LMAO

     
  • At June 21, 2006 9:45 am, Blogger Laura said…

    I think the only UT is that there are no UTs....kind of a never say never thing, ya know....

     
  • At June 24, 2006 6:49 am, Blogger Enemy of the Republic said…

    Your blog is beautiful. I'm glad I finally made it.

    I do believe in a universal truth, but I don't always feel secure in what it is. As someone who follows the Christian path, I know what I am supposed to believe, and much of it holds true to me. But there are things I cannot reconcile. It really used to bother me prior to my conversion and even recently. But now I am relaxed. I know some Christians don't believe this, but there is a lot of wisdom in Eastern faiths and discovery; I also think there are things we cannot know due to physical and emotional limitations. Whatever universal truth there is, we will one day know; I just hope it isn't something dire!

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Subscribe with Bloglines Save the NetAustralianBlogs.com.au

About Me

Home: Canberra, ACT, Australia
About Me: I'm a single mum with 2 terrors and 2 dogs. Recently moved to ACT for work. Musings on politics, life, philosophy etc. I have many aspirations, maybe I'll share them... maybe I won't :-)
See my complete profile
Previous Post
Archives
Links

Template by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER