Valium for the Soul

Come with me on a journey through uncharted territory...

Quotes:
How can a woman be expected to be happy with a man who insists on treating her as if she were a perfectly normal human being. - Oscar Wilde
Quotes:
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. - Albert Einstein
Quotes:
Education: that which reveals to the wise, and conceals from the stupid, the vast limits of their knowledge. - Mark Twain
Quotes:
I thoroughly disapprove of duels. If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand and lead him to a quiet place and kill him. - Mark Twain
Quotes:
Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. - Albert Einstein
Thursday, May 04, 2006
Free marketing?
When will the church realise that everytime they bitch about the DaVinci code more people will go to see it or read it or pay attention to it?

The anglican church has decided that they will show a movie at the cinemas which will show the 'real' story of jesus. How do they know? They weren't there. Their bible consists of translated excerpts of some bits that were copied from the Catholic church (when Henry wanted to divorce Catherine) which are only the bits that the Catholics wanted people to be subjugated to anyway.

The anglican church claims the movie will 'mislead people about the truth' - well i guess they are the experts.

At this rate cynics will start believing that the church is either getting kickbacks, or are major shareholders in the studio. Sheesh.
posted by Blue @ 12:12 am  
8 Comments:
  • At May 04, 2006 12:34 am, Blogger Grant said…

    I have yet to read the DaVinci Code, although I think I will just to hack off the religionists.

    What movie are they showing? Is it Mel's PotC (or as I call it, the Holy Snuff Flick)? It's also supposed to be the true story of Jebus.

     
  • At May 04, 2006 4:30 am, Blogger Karen said…

    I could really go off on a *rant* on this... but it's a hopeless cause trying to change the right-wingers.

     
  • At May 04, 2006 8:01 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    there gets a point were all publicity isnt good publicity...

    despite popularity - i dont think the number of people reading it is going to continue to rise, ppl start to wait for the movie

     
  • At May 04, 2006 8:22 am, Blogger Jack K. said…

    I read the book. It is a compelling read. Remember it is a novel. You will choose to believe the parts of it you want to believe.

    Your daily quote is quite appropriate.

     
  • At May 04, 2006 8:23 am, Blogger Jack K. said…

    the einstein quote.

     
  • At May 04, 2006 8:57 am, Blogger Daydreamer of Oz said…

    Just because someone is *right-wing* doesn't mean they're religious. Secondly, I'm not really sure why the need is felt to change that group of people. As long as someone isn't harming another person, I couldn't care less what they do, think or believe in. I'm assuming that this church film would be optional-no one will be forced to see it. I wouldn't be but I don't mind if someone else wants to.

    At the end of the day it's as Jack said, people will believe what they want to believe. I personally believe there are bits of the book that are probably true. However, I don't hold any malice towards someone who believes otherwise.

     
  • At May 04, 2006 10:47 am, Blogger Bird said…

    hahah - i'm with daydreamer on part of this- right wing is not synonomous (sp) with religious.

    like jack - i've read the book too - it's not great literature - but it was a fun summer read - and yeah, it is fiction.


    about the change part - i think we often want to change others' points of view - we'd like the world to run the way we think it should - and we would like to change those "others" when they force their view on us - via laws, public and foreign policy, etc. that's the stuff of political and social debate.

    i'll check out the movie only because i'm a ron howard fan (still in love with opie even though he's bald) and my daughter wants to see it with me.

     
  • At May 04, 2006 5:57 pm, Blogger Daydreamer of Oz said…

    I think we agree on quite a lot, Bird...whether you want to admit it or not rofl ;)

    Seriously though I think we all know it's fiction. None of the claims in the book are new. The most obvious & controversial being that Jesus married Mary & had a child. The Dead Sea Scrolls actually supports this proposition (this is where Brown got a lot of his ideas from)...The lost gospels give this notion a lot of credence.

    I saw a uni lecturer on tv one night talking about the book & he described it as 'great literature'.... not for content or quality but for the fact that it's 'got people talking'...There has been a surge in interest & discussion because of the book & that's definitely a good thing.

    I'll be seeing it too although I'm not sure if I feel comfortable with the Tom Hanks casting (imagined Langdon as a young Harrison Ford but would've settled for Dennis Quaid :)

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Subscribe with Bloglines Save the NetAustralianBlogs.com.au

About Me

Home: Canberra, ACT, Australia
About Me: I'm a single mum with 2 terrors and 2 dogs. Recently moved to ACT for work. Musings on politics, life, philosophy etc. I have many aspirations, maybe I'll share them... maybe I won't :-)
See my complete profile
Previous Post
Archives
Links

Template by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER